We've been in the South Wedge since 1856!
Our church has a rich history within the South Wedge community. Calvary Presbyterian Church was constituted July 15, 1856 on Hamilton Street. In the same community a few blocks away in 1873 St. Andrew's Episcopal Church was started. The two congregations served the same community and in 1968 decided to literally join together. The Presbyterian congregation sold its building and moved to the Episcopal Church. As a joint parish they witnessed to the transforming presence of Christ in the City of Rochester. In 2001, after a four year process of discernment, the congregation became solely Presbyterian and bought the building.
The 1873 Gothic sanctuary has many wonderful works of art that are the legacy from the height of St. Andrew's Church.
The history of our building
Of particular note:
The Gothic sanctuary was designed by Richard Upjohn in the style resembling Trinity Church in New York City
The font is a relic of the original Calvary Presbyterian church of 1885 and is still in use today
The High Altar
The High Altar was designed by George Laushalter, as a gift of Mrs. Henry (Maria) Perkins on April 11, 1899. The marble was imported from Carrara, Italy.
High Altar Tiffany Window
The high altar window was made by the Tiffany Glass Company of New York, and given by Marie Atkinson Perkins Willard. The scene depicts Christ's tomb on Easter morning (Mark 16: 1-6)
Located to the left in the sanctuary, the small altar and painting were gifts of Mrs. James S. (Emily) Watson in memory of her late mother, Mrs Hiram (Elizabeth) Sibley. It depicts the adoration of the three Wiseman at the crib of the infant Jesus.
The Stained Glass Windows
The Rose window was given in memory of Henry Brooks Ellwanger in 1883. He was the organist and choir master at the time.
Please join us for Sunday Services at 11 AM. Fellowship time begins after worship. Come as you are! You are welcome any time.
Calvary St Andrews Presbyterian Parish
68 Ashland St (corner of Averill, 1 block east of Mt. Hope)
Rochester, NY 14620
Phone: 585 325-4950
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org